Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

The "No Shampoo" Experiment...

Okay, as someone who is always trying to find more natural sources for body and hair products, when I first heard about going "shampoo free" I have to admit it grossed me out just a little bit.  Actually... it grosses me out a lot. All I can think of is that I will end up with greasy, limp hair that needs to be pulled back into a pony tail. However,  as I continue to search through different websites and blogs, there seems to be enough positive feed back to actually try and go shampoo free.

So, why go shampoo free?
1) Shampoo is a detergent. While it does a great job at cleaning your hair, it also strips it of all the healthy oils that can protect your hair. This can cause your hair to over produce oil.
2) Shampoo is chock-full of chemicals that are bad for your hair and skin.
3) Shampoo can become an expensive and unnecessary cost.

Recipe for "Shampoo Free" Hair Wash:
Need: 1 TBLSP of Baking Soda
1 Cup of Water

Combine the baking soda and water together in a squeeze bottle (an old shampoo bottle will do) and shake until dissolved. When washing your hair, first wet your hair completely. Next, pour the baking soda mix over your hair starting at your crown and massaging it into your scalp as you go. You will not need to use the whole mix. Rinse  out.

Recipe for "Shampoo Free" Conditioner:
Need: 1 TBLSP of Apple Cider Vinegar
1 Cup of Water

Combine ACV and water in another squeeze bottle container.
Use this mix sparingly as it can cause your hair to become greasy. Most people just pour it on the ends of their hair and rinse out. Even though ACV has a harsh smell it will not stay in your hair.

Now from what I have read, there is about a 2 week to a few months transition period for your hair. In the mean time the hair might be a little greasy. I am hoping I can stick with this experiment long enough to see some results.

Hopefully it works! And here I go!

Here are some great resources that I have read that have convinced me to try this no shampoo experiment.  I would highly encourage you to read them :): 

4 comments:

  1. Does it provide any moisture though?For someone with curly, dry hair (like me), a moisturizer in a conditioner/shampoo is a necessity. Did you find anything that says it would work for a hair type like that? Just curious! Have fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kaia!

    Actually the Apple Cider Vinegar is supposed to act as a moisturizer. They say if you have dry hair to place it all over your scalp/hair. While greasier hair the ACV only needs to be applied to the ends.

    But if you are worried about your curls I have read that people with curly hair should only wash and comb their hair once a week with a conditioner that has zero sulfates in it. It is the sulfates and other chemicals in shampoo that tend to make hair frizzy, dry and unmanageable. This is the book that keeps popping up that is supposed to be a really good guide for the "no shampoo" curly hair:
    http://www.amazon.com/Curly-Girl-Handbook-Lorraine-Massey/dp/076115678X

    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I rarely use shampoo as I find it totally destroys my hair. And I actually never comb it. In fact, I don't own a comb or a brush! Thanks for the book reccomendation! I'll check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweet experiement, I'm excited to see what the results are! I might try it...but I want to see how your hair fares first!

    ReplyDelete